Hometown Hero Banner Program
2023 Program Update
About the Program
The Hometown Hero Banner Program was created to honor and recognize military personnel that reside in or previously resided in the Canal Winchester city limits. This is a program of the City of Canal Winchester in partnership with VFW Post #10523.
For 2023, Hometown Hero banners will be displayed on light poles in historic downtown from Labor Day through Veterans Day. At that time, the banners will be removed and available for pickup by the sponsor.
Pending availability and banner condition, banners may be returned to the City for display in 2024. The 2024 display will run from Memorial Day through Veterans Day. More information on that will be available in the new year.
- The honoree must live within Canal Winchester city limits, or have lived within city limits during their time of service. Just because the individual has/had a Canal Winchester mailing address does not mean they live/d within city limits. For more information or clarification, please call 614-837-8276.
- The honoree must currently serve or have served any branch of the United States Military. Those include: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, National Guard, and Navy.
- The honoree must meet one of the following conditions:
- Currently an active service member
- Be an honorably discharged veteran
- Retired veteran
- Died in the line of duty
The City of Canal Winchester is currently accepting applications for the 2023 Hometown Hero Banner display.
Please complete the application for consideration. Applications, photos, and payment must be submitted by close of business on Monday, July 31 to be considered for the 2023 display. There are 56 total locations available, and Canal Winchester City Council has waived the application fee.
All materials should be sent to:
ATTN: Hometown Hero Program
45 E. Waterloo St.
Canal Winchester, OH 43110
For more information, please contact Adriana McPherson, Community Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-837-8276.